Today we have de pre conference of the NLJUG and I am attending the Serverless deep dive by Bert Ertman.
This blog post are my notes on the talk. Done for myself but you might like it too.
- IAAS is probably not cheaper than running everything ourselves.
- We are movingmore and more to not owning everything but renting and paying as we go.
- Startups running on their own hardware often have trouble scaling. With Serverless you do not have to worry about it.
- portability and lock in are certainly issues because there is not yet a de facto standard yet.
- functions are first class citizens
- run your code
isn’t that PAAS?
- AWS Lambdas
- google CloudFunctions
- Azure Functions
- IBM Bluemix
- fn opensource by Oracle and as they call it “Serverless re-invented”
- lots and lots of cloud services available
Because of strange names a bit of translation.
- Client - web app - db
- just because you can tranform from traditional to serverless the question is still should you? The answer is not always yes!
- Serverless > FaaS
Bert gives some demos.
API Gateways are often just renamed ESBs. They are often beasts and a high learning curve.
- swagger config files help a lot
Is a Function a Microservice? Because a function does one thing and one thing well.
- function composition is difficult
Demo time again based on the above.
serverless.template is a project file in json for the SAM config
This file is still very difficult to write because of a lack of good documentation.
Cool 😎 demo
Alexa skills and lamdas can be monetized
- Apache OpenWhisk